Social media is a great way to market your business. Through social media you can reach customers in Australia and around the world for very little cost. It can also help you build positive relationships with current and potential customers.
Why use social media?
Social media has changed the way we connect with others. Traditional marketing methods like advertising and direct mail are becoming less effective. Instead, more and more businesses are using social media to connect with customers and influencers.
When using social media to market your business, focus on increasing visibility of your business, building relationships with customers, and boosting sales. You can do this by :
- sharing content that promotes your business and brand
- communicating with customers, including answering queries, and
- generating new leads.
Understanding Social Media: taking part and creating content
To be successful on social media, you need to take part in the online community and create content.
Taking part in the community
You can take part in, or engaging with, the online community by:
- sharing other people’s content
- answering questions
- joining conversations on social media platforms.
Before you join in, take some time to learn the way the platform works.
Creating content involves creating and sharing original content, such as photos, videos, captions or blog posts, on one or more platforms.
Which platforms should you use? Before you start, think about your audience. Ask:
- Who are you trying to communicate with?
- Where do they hang out online?
For example, are your customers mainly on Instagram, or do they prefer Facebook and LinkedIn? Instagram users will expect very different content to the average LinkedIn user. Make sure your content is tailored to the platform.
Creating engaging content
Good content will inform, educate or entertain. It should be useful, relevant, and provide value to your audience. When you create content, keep your target audience in mind. Your content should:
- answer a question,
- satisfy a need, or
- show what you can offer.
Your content should be related to your business. For example:
- a business coach might publish a blog post on top goal-setting tips;
- a food business owner may publish recipes using their products;
- A photographer may post a reel of new images.
Once you create your content, publish it to one or more platforms. Then share the links with your followers.
Search engines such as Google use social media shares to work out how useful content is to an audience. So, posting regular content to social media can help to improve your search rank.
To summarise, using social media can help you connect with new and potential customers. It can also help your business to grow. By engaging online and creating quality content, you can build relationships with your audience and make your business more successful.
- The article is adapted from a Business Victoria resource, Use Social Media to Boost BusinessT
- To learn more about marketing and using social media for your business, see Business Victoria’s workshops. For dates and bookings, check the Business Victoria website.
- Google Digital Garage offers short courses to help you promote your business online. There are modules on choosing a social media platform; setting goals; getting noticed on social media; and measuring success.